Our mission is to provide entertainment and engagement for the youth of the Bloomington community in a safe environment, free from alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs. The hours directly after school are when youth are most likely to engage in risky behaviors such as substance abuse, sexual contact, and other delinquent behaviors. Rhino’s serves the youth of Bloomington during these critical times by offering productive, creative after-school programs, free of charge to all youth ages 13-18. Rhino’s is a part of Harmony Education Center which also serves the Bloomington community.
Local and national research both indicate that the most at-risk time for adolescents is afterschool and on weekend evenings. Local families have expressed much difficulty in finding affordable afterschool programs for children and youth. Rhino’s programs are essential for our local youth. During the week, Rhino’s runs five FREE after-school programs that are youth led with the assistance of staff mentorship (Video/Improv Club, Visual Art, Writing, Youth Radio, Make A Band!) that operate during the critical 3-6 pm Monday-Friday period. On weekends, Rhino’s hosts all-ages events: music shows, movies, plays, art exhibits and more.
Did you know…
- 65+ kids participate in Rhino’s after-school programs each week
- Rhino’s after-school programs serve 300+ unduplicated youth each year
- Over 2,000 people Rhino’s weekend shows each year
- On average 80-100 people attend each weekend show
- In 2017, after-school attendees report a 93% reduction in smoking after participating in Rhino’s programs, and a 100% high school graduation rate
How You Can Help!
In order to sustain Rhino’s programs and ensure its impact on today’s youth, we look for community support to help us provide FREE after-school programs and affordable weekend music shows/events to local youth. We ask that you thoughtfully consider donating to support Rhino’s free after-school programs and weekend music shows in one of the following ways:
Make a Neighborhood Assistance Program (NAP) tax credit donation:
- When you donate to Rhino’s using these NAP tax credits, 50% of your donation comes dollar for dollar off your Indiana state income tax bill and if you itemize on your federal income tax return, you may receive an additional 35% deduction on your federal income tax return. For every $1,000 you contribute to using NAP credits your out-of-pocket expense could be as little as $100 for individuals and corporations depending on your tax bracket. A minimum donation of $100 is required for NAP tax credits. These tax credits are available on a first-come, first-serve basis … so don’t wait. Visit www.in.gov/myihcda/nap.htm for more information on NAP tax credits.
- Visit NAP Info and Forms for more detailed information
- To donate using NAP credits please mail donations with these attached forms: NAP Combined Forms
Become a Rhino’s Show Sponsor:
During our season (Sept. 1- Aug. 31), Rhino’s presents an average of 40 shows. Sponsorships directly support show expenses such as sound, lights, security, staff, and event promotion so we can keep show admission low for local youth. Sponsorships are available at the following levels:
- Headliner – $10,000
- Opener – $5,000
- Supporting Act – $1,000
- Backstage – $250
- For detailed show sponsors benefits please click Rhino’s Show Sponsor Guide
- NAP tax credits may be used for show sponsorships!
To become a show sponsor:
- Please mail donations and sponsor form to Rhino’s Youth Center at P.O. Box 1727, Bloomington IN 47402 with this form
- Using NAP tax credits for your sponsorship donation? Please include necessary NAP Forms with your donation
- Prefer to pay by credit card? Visit www.harmonyschool.org → Rhino’s Youth Center Donation and e-mail form to email@example.com or mail to above address
Make a general donation:
Can’t take advantage of NAP tax credits, sponsorship isn’t right for you? Please consider making a donation to support Rhino’s good work by:
- Please mail donations to Rhino’s Youth Center @ P.O. Box 1727, Bloomington IN 47402
- Prefer to pay by credit card? Visit www.harmonyschool.org → Rhino’s Youth Center Donation
For more information about making a financial donation to Rhino’s, contact Fern Goodman at 812-334-8349 ext. 215 | 812-325-5102 | firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about Rhino’s programs, contact the Rhino’s Director at email@example.com.
- Microsoft Word software
- Thumb drives / SD cards
- Box fan
- Stereo receiver
- Ping Pong balls / paddles
- Sewing machine or serger
- Sewing supplies (thread, needles, seam rippers, scissors)
- Fine art paper
- Spray paint
- House paint
- Acrylic paint
- Stamp ink pad
- Desk lamp
- Non-refrigerated juice
- Non-perishable snack items (granola bars, chips, etc.)
- Paper plates, napkins, cups
- Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii video games
If you would like to donate a Wishlist item, please contact the Rhino’s Director, David Kopp at firstname.lastname@example.org!